Many have advised you to open a company blog and take care of its contents but you don’t understand why? The real challenge of SEO nowadays is on generating quality content, believe it or not.
- What is the use of having a corporate blog?
- How to manage a corporate blog
- How to optimize the Title tag
- How to optimize the Meta Description tag
- How to Optimize Headings
- How to optimize anchor text
- How to optimize the body of the text
What is the use of having a blog? How do I manage it? How should I write to us?
Maintaining a corporate blog and writing new articles is useful for:
- Make you known in the sector,
- Increase the number of pages on a site,
- Increase the relevance of the site towards specific keywords and sector niches,
- Guiding new users on the site through specific topics of interest for informative research,
- Convert part of the blog visitors into potential customers / leads,
- Increase the domain authority thanks to new inbound links and sharing of quality content on social networks,
- Demonstrate your skills and build a following of enthusiasts.
How to manage a corporate blog
The purposes of a company blog are essentially two: to give strength to the positioning of the company site and to increase conversions or contacts received.
To get a good ranking on Google, the blog must constantly grow with new content. Google rewards dynamic sites with quality content that is alive and growing. The constant generation of content is FUNDAMENTAL for good SEO , each article must be complete and exhaustive in terms of content, putting online a static site that will never be updated has very little use.
Always keep in mind that an HTML page can be optimized for a limited set of keywords, synonyms, related terms and compound phrases. Do not enter too many keywords far from the primary topic of the page, otherwise you could confuse Google.
To expand the page semantics, identify the primary keyword and its related and secondary words.
The primary keyword must be well distributed throughout the text, important SEO tags, and the main paragraphs of the page.
- In the first paragraph with greater density and in the rest of the page with constant occurrences.
- In the important SEO tags: meta title, meta description, heading h1 / 2/3, image alt tags, bold, italic and anchor text of internal links .
- In the text it is advisable to insert synonyms and related words in order to broaden the semantics of the page.
- Use Google Keyword Planner to identify keywords with good search traffic.
- Analyze keyword SEO competition to avoid overly competitive terms.
Constantly curate your content as if it were your shop window:
- Add and enrich textual content to increase the amount of text on each page. Pages low in text don’t get visibility on Google.
- Enrich the most important landing pages with unique texts, internal and external links (strictly related to the topic covered on the page), images and videos.
- Constantly add new pages and articles in the blog to increase the volume of the site and bring it closer to that of the TOP competitors.
- Update old content. An old page that is updated becomes more important to Google and its ranking will improve.
Write simply and correctly. Users like simple-to-read and grammatically correct texts.
- Always follow the SEO Copywriting guidelines!
- Write simple-to-read texts.
- Create fresh and updated content.
- Avoid texts with grammatical errors, always reread before publishing!
- Avoid Wall of Texts. Inserting large amounts of text without formatting and paragraphs reduces readability.
- Don’t leave the subject. Stay relevant to your niche and organize your content.
- Avoid getting confused. It is always a good idea to organize your content into categories.
- Avoid reusing (or worse copying) existing content.
- Avoid entering too many repetitions of the keyword to look like SPAM, it doesn’t help with Search Engines and it doesn’t help with users.
- Don’t hide text from users!
- Avoid writing text in the same color as the background is prohibited by Google’s guidelines.
Follow these guidelines to get the most out of your business blog:
- Organize the content, assign a single category and one or more tags to each article.
- Build new deep links with optimized anchor text, from blog pages to corporate website service pages. Deep links strengthen key landing pages.
- There is no ideal number of content posted per month, it depends on the niche and how the competition is doing. On average I recommend not going below 4 articles per month.
- Consistency is better than quantity, if you have 12 articles available in a year it is better to publish one per month rather than 12 at once. Google rewards consistency and curated content!
- The quality of the site in the eyes of Google is obtained by publishing comprehensive, unique and original articles.
- Share the contents generated on the blog in all the main social networks. With shares, backlinks from authoritative domains are increased, in addition of course to the free traffic of social users.
Using free tools to study keywords:
How to optimize the Title tag
Meta tags are metadata present in the HTML language used to provide information on pages to users or search engines. Unlike any other tag, meta tags (title, description and keywords) do not provide the browser with any page formatting data, so their influence on the final layout is practically nil; they are therefore totally invisible to the user except through the display of the HTML source code of the page or through the browser properties windows.
The meta title tag of a page is the strongest and most characterizing factor from an SEO point of view . The title tag is the text that appears first, large, in search engine results and shares on social networks. It is very important to evaluate the title of the site and the pages well.
It is common to write titles up to 55 characters long, including spaces. Longer titles will be cut in SERPs thus losing effectiveness. Long titles also struggle to fit in the few characters made available by Twitter.
- The title effectively describes the content of the page
- The title includes the main keywords
- The title is not a slogan, it must aim for effective keywords!
- Are Your Titles Irresistibly Click Worthy & Viral?
- How to Write Magnetic Headlines
Note for webmasters: When analyzing the title tags of the entire domain you need to make sure that each page has a unique title. To carry out this verification it is necessary to use a crawler or Google Search Console (GSC), in the “Optimization”> “HTML Improvements” section.
General rules for a correct SEO compilation:
- It is the first meta tag as a position in HTML,
- It is the first tag as SEO importance,
- Maximum length: 55 characters including spaces * or 482 pixels,
- The title must start with the most important keyword,
- Enter the company name at the end of the title,
- Do not enter repeated keywords,
- Write unique titles for each page,
- Avoid stop-words if possible.
* for Google the size is calculated in pixels and not in characters, for the test use a dedicated tool .
In the SERP, the words in the title tag appear in bold when used in the user’s search. This can help users decide whether or not the page is relevant to their search. The title of the homepage of a website or a business could include other important information such as the physical address of the office or a particularly important offer.
GSC provides a diagnosis tool for title tags. This tool detects duplicate, too long or too short titles. If you don’t have a crawler like Screaming Frog available , I recommend using GSC.
How to optimize the Meta Description tag
Meta description tags are important because Google may include them in the snippet that appears in search results. I wrote “could” because Google could choose other text sources that it deems relevant to the user’s search. As an alternative, Google could use the title or description taken from DMOZ or text extracted directly from the page or even from anchor text of authoritative links pointing to the page (see the Bruce Caly case shown in this article ).
Creating a specific and unique meta description for each page is always a good idea in case Google can’t find a good selection of text to include in the snippet. Remember that Google is a machine and it is always better to tell them how you want to manage your information rather than letting them do it.
The meta description tag is intended to contain a brief description of the page content, which can be useful both for indexing the page and for potential visitors, as it is shown by many engines in the search results below the page title.
General rules for a correct SEO compilation:
- Use the top keywords in the beginning,
- Repeat the top keywords a maximum of twice,
- Write unique and original descriptions for each page,
- Maximum length: 156 characters including spaces * or 928 pixels,
- Unique description for each page,
- The meta description tag “is better empty than duplicated” ,
- Primary word at the beginning of the text.
* for Google the size is calculated in pixels and not in characters.
The words in the SERP snippet are bold if they are used in the user’s search. This function should help the user to understand if the contents of the page coincide with what he is looking for.
How to optimize the Headings H1, H2, h3, …
Using heading tags to break down content into paragraphs and to increase relevance is a critical factor in SEO copywriting.
Heading tags (i.e. titles and sub-titles visible on the page, not to be confused with the HEAD tag or the HTTP header) are used, like the chapters of a book, or to divide the sections and topics covered.
There are six sizes of heading tags, the most important being the H1 tag and the last in the series is the H6 tag. Since heading tags are usually rendered with larger and more visible characters than plain text, it is easy to deduce their importance both at the user level and for the search engines.
At the SEO level, the heading tags are very strong (H1 in particular) and should be written taking into consideration the most important keywords on the page and the SEO Copywriting guidelines. This means including the main keyword, variants and synonyms whenever possible.
How to optimize the headings
- Use only one H1 tag per page,
- H2-H6 have no usage limits for single page,
- Use a unique and original H1 tag for each page,
- In the H1 tag it is possible to use the phrase used in the meta title tag,
- Use H2, H3, …, H6 in ascending order for in-depth paragraphs (use words related to the primary keyword)
- Use a maximum of 6/10 words per tag
- Avoid duplicate or missing headings
Using different heading tags helps to create a hierarchical structure that organizes the content in order to make it more readable and navigable.
How to optimize anchor text
Anchor text is a very important element of links. Google (and not only) uses the phrase inserted in the anchor text of a link to understand the topic covered in the linked page. From this we deduce how important it is to write clear and explanatory anchor text, absolutely avoiding generic terms such as “click here”. In this official Google guide you can find this slide which in my opinion is really clear:How to optimize Anchor Text
How to optimize the body of the text
While there is no recommended minimum volume of words to use in a text , articles and products should use at least 500 words of unique text.
Remember that the internet is made up of hypertexts, and a hypertext is not simply made up of text but should also include multimedia material!
Good content doesn’t just use text, a full hypertext uses many elements:
- Relevant and high quality outbound links
- Internal links
Definition of Hypertext on Wikipedia
Laziness does not pay, if you want to fall into the graces of Google you have to roll up your sleeves and learn to develop better content than others!