Is your Netgear WiFi extender behaving weirdly? Does your internet connection drop while surfing online? Are you unable to connect to your Netgear_ext ? If yes, then your Netgear extender needs a firmware update. Netgear releases new firmware regularly to increase security and improve the performance of the extender. To use the latest features of your Netgear extender, you should update its firmware to its latest version. The firmware of the Netgear extender can be updated using the following methods:
- By using the Manual Method
- By using the Netgear Nighthawk app
Manual Method to Update the Firmware of Netgear WiFi Extender
To update the firmware of the Netgear WiFi extender using the Manual method, follow these steps:
- Connect your Netgear extender to a working wall socket and switch on the Power button.
- Allow the LED light on your extender to glow green.
- Connect the Netgear WiFi extender to the router.
- Turn on your PC and open a web browser.
- Update your browser and clear its browsing history, cookies, and cache.
- Type http://192.168.1.250 in the address bar and press Enter.
- The Netgear extender login screen will appear.
- Log into your extender using the default username and password .
- The Netgear Genie setup wizard will appear.
- Click on the Menu icon to open the menu of your extender.
- Go to settings, click on the Administration button, and then click on the Firmware Update option to update the firmware of your Netgear extender to its latest version.
You can also update the firmware using mywifiext.net if you are unable to log into your extender using http://192.168.1.250.
Steps to Update Netgear Extender Firmware Using the Netgear Nighthawk App
You can also use the Netgear Nighthawk app to update the firmware of your Netgear WiFi range extender to its latest version. Follow these steps to update the firmware of the Netgear extender by the Netgear Nighthawk app:
- Switch on the Power button after plugging your Netgear extender into a working wall socket.
- Allow the LED lights to become stable.
- Make the required connections.
- Unlock your mobile phone.
- Open Google Play Store and search for the Netgear Nighthawk app.
Note: iOS users need to open App Store to do the same.
- Download and install the Netgear Nighthawk app.
- Launch the app after its installation completes
- Create a Netgear account.
- After creating a Netgear account, the Netgear extender login screen will appear.
- Fill in the default username and password of your Netgear extender in the respective fields.
- Tap on the Log In button.
- The Netgear Genie setup wizard will prompt.
- Go to settings and then look for the Firmware Update option to perform Netgear firmware update.
While performing Netgear firmware update, you might come across some issues due to the following reasons:
- You might have entered the wrong IP address.
- Loose cable connections.
- You might be using a damaged Ethernet cable.
- Incorrect default username and password.
- Poor internet connection.
You can overcome these issues by following the following things:
- Always enter the correct IP address.
- Make the connections tight and secure.
- Keep your router and extender away from devices like microwave ovens, Bluetooth speakers, metal objects, fish tanks, etc.
- The default username and password are case-sensitive. So, be careful while entering the default login credentials.
Note: If you are continuously facing failure in updating the firmware of your Netgear WiFi extender, then restore the extender to its factory default settings and perform the New extender setup from scratch.
In this continuously evolving world, do not lag. You have to stay updated, whether it is your life or the firmware of your Netgear WiFi extender. So, update the firmware of your Netgear extender to its latest version to enjoy its latest features. Learn more