MP4 is considered one of the most popular and best video file formats. The reason is the best video resolution, graphics, and audio quality it offers. In addition, it is compatible with most video players. Despite these advantages, there are chances of an MP4 video file getting corrupted. The real problem arises when you don’t have a backup of the lost or corrupted MP4 video. What to do then?
Well, the answer is in this post. If you are entangled in the mess of a corrupted MP4 video file, go through this post and find out the reasons leading you to this issue. Not only this, but we have also discussed how to repair a video file in MP4 format. So, let’s get started.
Reasons Why MP4 Files Get Corrupted
MP4 or MPEG-4 Part 14 is a digital multimedia container format that stored the audio along with the video. It also allows streaming over the web. MP4 format uses a MPEG-4 format to work flawlessly in a QuickTime Environment. However, the MP4 format is more popular than MOV as it can be operated on various video platforms including MACs. The other OS supporting MP4 video formats are Linux, Windows, and other mobile devices. All in all, most video-related applications support MP4 video files.
There might be various reasons that can corrupt an MP4 video file. Given below are a few of them:
1. Error in reading or writing the data:
It occurs when a file is edited. Know that when the MP4 file gets edited, it gets redefined. It means its internal data is altered to imbibe the change. However, during these operations, any unexpected error can cause a failure leading to corruption of an MP4 video and its poor structure.
2. Lost Information:
Information can be transferred using various mediums these days. Following are some of the tangible and intangible means that facilitate data transfer and corrupt an MP4 video:
- Internet data transfer via Email and hosting information on servers
- Physical data transfer via USB, CDs, DVDs, and SSD
- Non-tangible media may lose information owing to an Internet connection failure that prevents appropriate data transmission to servers. Furthermore, if your gadget or computer is infected with an unintended virus or application, it can also corrupt an MP4 video.
- MP4 Video can be corrupted or damaged if it sustains physical damage or is infected by a virus during the writing and reading procedures.
Now, let’s move ahead and discuss the steps to extract an mp4 repair file from a corrupted one.
Methods to Repair a Corrupted MP4 Video
There are two methods that will help you repair a corrupted or lost MP4 video:
- Use a video repair tool
- Use the VLC media player
Moving on, let’s learn how to use both these methods.
Method 1: Use a Video Repair Tool
Sometimes, the audio is not in sync with the video. In the worst case, you can hear the audio but can’t see the video. In that scenario, it is recommended to use a video repair tool. You can use the Stellar Repair for Video, this works on both Windows and MAC devices.
It can help you fix corrupted videos files with issues like out-of-sync audio and video, black screen, flickering, freezing, video error codes, and many more. Not only this, but this tool also helps you repair corrupted damaged MP4 videos irrespective of the cause including change in format, and video file header corruption issues. Here are the steps that will help you repair a damaged MP4 video with the help of Stellar Repair for Video:
- Install and launch software in your system
- Select video files that you want to repair.
- Click Repair to start the repair procedure.
- Preview the repaired video & save them at your desired location.
Method 2: Use VLC Media Player
VLC media played is an automated system that has a tendency to repair damaged or corrupted videos with an “.AVI” format and stream MP4 videos. However, you have to perform format conversion first. Luckily, the VLC player allows you to do that. Here’s how to fix an MP4 file with the help of the VLC media player:
- Open the VLC player on your PC and click Media.
- The Formal Conversion Tool will appear.
- Click the Add button and add the corrupted video.
- Thereafter, click Convert/Save.
- Select a Codec and assign a location for the video.
- Click Start.
- Click Preferences or press Ctrl + P.
- Select the Always Fix button beside the Damaged or Incomplete AVI File option.
- Click the Save button.
Keep in mind that VLC media is unable to resolve the black screen issue with an MP4 video.
It is quite common to come across a damaged MP4 video file. However, you can get it back to its original form using the VLC video player or video repair software. We hope that the aforementioned will help you repair the corrupted MP4 video with ease.