Erectile dysfunction, also known as impotence, is the condition of the male reproductive system in which they have difficulty getting and maintaining an erection. Therefore it impacts sex life.
Difficulty in getting an erection one or two times does not mean you have erectile dysfunction. It can occur due to stress, medications, and some health conditions. Therefore to know about the final diagnosis, you must consult the healthcare provider. If you have difficulty in getting an erection, you can visit the Andrologist in Lahore.
Erectile dysfunction can sometimes be treated with medications and psychotherapy. Nervousness can also make it difficult to maintain an erection.
What are the symptoms of erectile dysfunction?
The symptoms of erectile dysfunction are:
- Reduced sexual desire
- Trouble in getting and maintaining the erection
When should you see a doctor?
If difficulty in getting and maintaining an erection persists, it is a good idea to consult a doctor. This consultation can be done easily online these days through the best digital healthcare platforms that have a team of experts available to guide you with the right treatment options. The link here might prove helpful regarding the same in case you are also facing the problem of ED. You must consult with your healthcare provider if:
- You are experiencing other sexual disorders, such as premature ejaculation or delayed ejaculation.
- You have a reduced sexual desire than usual.
- You have other diseases such as heart conditions, diabetes, or hypertension.
- You have been taking medications for a long period of time.
- You have other symptoms of erectile dysfunction that persists
Sexual arousal in males occurs as a response to a series of actions involving the brain, emotions, hormones, nerves, muscles, and blood vessels. A problem in any of these can result in erectile dysfunction. However, certain health conditions and stress can worsen the condition.
Other physical causes of erectile dysfunction can be:
- Heart disease
- Atherosclerosis- deposition of fat and plaque in the arteries
- High blood cholesterol levels
- High blood pressure
- Multiple sclerosis
- Parkinson’s disease
- Metabolic syndrome
- Certain medications
- Peyronie’s disease- a condition in which scar tissue develops inside the penis
- Smoking cigarettes
- Drinking alcohol
- Treatment for enlarged prostate and other prostate disorders
- Sleep disorders
- Surgery of the pelvic area
- Injuries of the pelvic area or damage to the nerves taking part in the erection
- Low testosterone levels
Brain and emotions play an essential role in male sexual arousal. Various things can interfere with it and worsen erectile dysfunction. Psychological causes that can lead to erectile dysfunction are:
- Prolonged stress
- Other mental disorders
- Poor relationship with the partner
- Lack of interest in your partner
- Poor communication between you and your partner
What are the risk factors for Erectile Dysfunction?
As you age, it may take longer and can be difficult to erect. You may need a direct touch to the penis to get an erection. Other factors that can increase the risk of erectile dysfunction are:
- Medical conditions, such as heart diseases or diabetes
- Smoking cigarettes- they contain tobacco that restricts blood flow to the arteries and veins. If that happens to the blood vessels supplying to the penis, it can result in erectile dysfunction.
- Being obese or overweight
- Getting radiation treatment at pelvis region for cancer
- Prostate surgery
- Injury or damage of the nerves that play a role in getting the erection of the penis
- Medications use such as antidepressants, antihistamines, antihypertensives, drugs used to treat pain and prostate condition.
- Anxiety, depression, nervousness, and stress
- Long time alcohol consumption and smoking
What are the complications of erectile dysfunction?
Erectile dysfunction can affect your sexual life and, therefore, mental health. You may not feel comfortable initiating sex. Moreover, you may feel tense and nervous in doing that, which in turn makes it worse. Your partner may not be able to conceive that can affect your mental health too.
The bottom line
It is essential to communicate with your partner about the difficulty you face during sex. With effective communication, you both can pave a solution for the problem. If you have difficulty in getting an erection, you can consult with an Andrologist in Karachi.